Reshaping the EU Trade Policy - new markets and challenges
Wednesday 21 October 2015 from 14:30 to 18:00
European Parliament (Brussels) room PHS 5B001
The event will be live streamed.
International trade is key to our economy. European companies need to access more markets worldwide where there is demand for our products and services. The Doha round has not succeeded in creating a multilateral trading system and so bilateral and plurilateral negotiations are ongoing between countries and regions. Europe needs to be a part of this development. International trade raises the living standard by creating better paid jobs and offering more choice to consumers. It is in this context that the Commission is presenting its new European Trade Strategy.
would like to contribute constructively to developing this new strategy by listening to what companies, in particular SMEs, need and expect from such a strategy. Furthermore, it is important to hear how representatives working on national trade promotion see their role in this strategy and how it can benefit the Member States. The ALDE Group is therefore organising the hearing "Reshaping the EU trade policy – new markets and challenges
" focusing on these two areas, on the 21st of October at 14.30-18.00 in PHS 7C050 in the European Parliament, with Liberal Commissioner Malmström
as the keynote speaker.
Marietje Schaake will moderate the second panel.
14.30 Introduction: Dita Charanzova
, ALDE spokesperson on the new EU Trade Strategy
14.30-15.15 Key note speech: Commissioner Malmström
15.15-16.30 Panel - what do SMEs need and expect from a new EU trade strategy?
Moderator: Dita Charanzova
- Mr Patrick Messerlin, Prof Emeritus of Sciences-Po. Independent advisor to a number of governments,
- Ms Sietske de Groot, Senior Policy Adviser at the Federation of Small Business in the UK
- Ms Gunilla Almgren, President of UEAPME, representing crafts, trades and SMEs at European level
- Mr Dirk Pollet, CEO at Multiplicom NV, Belgium
16.30-17.45 Panel - what is the role of Member States in a new EU trade strategy?
Moderator: Marietje Schaake
- Mr Marten C. van den Berg, Director General for Foreign Economic Relations, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Netherlands
- Mr Knut Brünjes, Deputy Director of the Department External Trade Policy, Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy, Germany
- Mr Michel Cywinski, Head of FININTER 4 at the general directorate of the Treasury in charge of Business France and export partners
- Mr Peter Sandler, Director for Resources, Information and Policy Coordination in DG Trade, the European Commission
17.45 Concluding remarks
Interpretation will be provided in English, French and German.
The event will be live streamed
please fill in the form (CLICK HERE
) before 10:00 on Monday 19th October 2015. In case of difficulty contact: email@example.com