Tech for change: ICT's, internet access
and the post-2015 development agenda
Tuesday 17 November, 14.00-17.00
European Parliament Brussels, Room PHS 5B 001
On behalf of the Digital Agenda Intergroup,
MEP Marietje Schaake is pleased to invite you to this seminar in the aftermath of the Internet Governance Forum in Brazil.
Increasing access to information and communications technology and providing access to the Internet in least developed countries by 2020 is one of the targets of the new UN Sustainable Development Goals.
What are the current needs in the field, including in refugee camps? How can we achieve the UN's Sustainable Development goals with due respect to the principles of net neutrality? These, and many other questions will be addressed at this event.
14.00-15.00 Session 1: Tech for Change: trends and current developments
15.00 -15.15 Break: European Parliament Commemoration of the victims of the Paris terrorist attacks
15.15-16.15 Session 2: Tech for change in practice: improving internet access in refugee camps
- Introduction by Marietje Schaake (Member of the European Parliament)
- Samia Melhem (World Bank)
- Eddy Hartog (Head of Unit International, DG Connect, European Commission)
16.15-17.00 Closing Remarks
- Doug Greene (Director, Division of Information Systems and Telecommunications, UNHCR)
- Kevin Martin (Vice President, Facebook)
- Syed Karim (CEO, Outernet)
- Hayo van Bejma (Director, TTC Mobile)
- Constance Bommelaer (Senior Director of Global Internet Policy, Internet Society):
- Closing keynote speech Alexander DeCroo (vice PM of Belgium)
Please register here
for this event.
Participants are asked to assemble at the Altierro Spinelli-entrance at the back of the European Parliament (Rue Wiertz 60, 1047 Brussels) at 13.30.